Thursday, June 5, 2014

Authentic

This week I have had the pleasure of visiting my hometown and being surrounded with long-time relationships. There has been ample conversation, laughter, and coffee-lots and lots of coffee. I really like coffee, and apparently, so do most of my friends. I have had several of these dates already and have three on the calendar for tomorrow.
A common thread I have seen through these conversations is an earnest desire and longing for authenticity. It is woven into the fabric of this millennial generation. We crave what comes with being genuine, and "real," is the word we like to incorporate into our vocabulary to encourage honesty, truth, and a deeper perspective.
I struggle with this at times because part of my upbringing hid the reality of society while focusing on the "power of positive words." I do believe the words we speak are life-sucking or uplifting, they can wound or heal, they can destroy or build. I've experienced this phenomenon in my life and can attest to the fact that it does make a difference in attitude, behavior, and even physical health.
However, where we are at in this stage of life, and place in our culture, we want people to cut the fake, pull off the façade, and live life without the mask of pretense. I personally find honesty invigorating. It can be difficult to hear at times, but truth creates space for change when spoken with love. That doesn't always soften the blow though-it depends on the speaker and the heart of the listener.
Here's the rub, authenticity brings with it candor, vulnerability, and at times, disagreement. I know that I can be too candid at times. Sometimes I lack discretion, and according to King Solomon, "a woman who lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig's snout." (Proverbs 11:22) That image reminds me what I don't want to imulate. Despite my struggle with this, my heart is to be transparent, to love truly and without attempting to change people. That isn't my responsibility. My responsibility is to reveal the grace and love of God as an image-bearer of Christ to the best of my ability and rely on Him to take it the rest of the way.
That being said, the craving is not diminished. It only grows with each encounter I have. So I'll sip my coffee while we talk and I'll be prepared to take a look inside and evaluate my life in truth. The way it works is symbiotic, but the space it fosters  for freedom and change is well worth it's weight in gold. I'm taking on the challenge of losing fake and choosing to be true. Dare to join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment