Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer Lovin'

Summer is officially here and I couldn't be happier. As much as I love this time of year, it is easy to let boredom from an unstructured routine  lack of routine creep in and keep the time from being as fun as it can be. Now some of this won't apply to me since I am a student and for all intents and purposes don't take a "summer break," but its okay, it keeps me on track to have my degree in hand in a year and a half or so. The thing is though that my education plan is flexible and allows me short weekend trips to visit family and friends, and the ability to watch seasonal blockbusters with my man, which are wonderful by the way. 


Newport Beach, CA 2013


So to give you plenty of opportunities to maximize this fabulous season, I thought I would give you a few ideas to break it up a little bit and add a skip to your step. <br>

  1. If you are near a water, go to water! Not everyone has the luxury of the ocean nearby, as you can see this picture was taken last year when I was residing in California. This year I am quite surrounded with land in Kansas. It doesn't have to be a sandy shore and crashing waves-take a dip in a pool, a lake, or a pond. Run through sprinklers if you must, just get to water!
  2. Make a new friend, say hi to a stranger and strike up a conversation, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  3. Try a new drink at your local coffeeshop, smoothie store, or snow-cone shack. Some of my favorites are great iced coffees, fruity smoothies for a day on the run, or a nice cold treat like frozen yogurt or a slurpee. (big gulps, huh?) 
  4. I am what you would call "indoorsy," but there is nothing like summer time to get me excited about camping-so do that if you can! Camp, eat great food cooked over the fire while sitting by the fire, telling stories. Epitome right there.
  5. Get a pedicure, or give someone a pedicure-be it a friend, sister, daughter, mother, or little neighbor girl down the street. Don some sandals and enjoy pretty toes that aren't all tucked away in socks and hot shoes. 
  6. Color. Coloring books aren't just for kids, and it is so therapeutic. But more than that, create something, do a project, make a friend a card and send it in the mail. 
  7. Do yoga. In. A. Park. I am not even kidding, it is so relaxing to have your bare feet in the grass, doing the poses while a breeze blows through the trees. Try it, you're welcome. 
  8. READ!!! Summer is great for library reading programs for both children and adults. In your reading, try something new that you've never read. A new genre, a new author, go back and re-read some of your favorite childhood books. Even if you don't get to travel or take a vacation, you can take one in the comfort of your own home through the characters of stories. The best. 
  9. Sleep in. During the school year, parents and kids alike are hustling early in the morning and all throughout the day. Take advantage of the time that summer affords to sleep a little longer. If mornings don't happen, take little naps-even better if you have a hammock or a comfy chair. 
  10. Create unforgettable memories. Take pictures, catalogue the moments, but be present in the moments as well, not just capturing everything with your phone. Some of the best moments are the ones we don't share with everyone else. 
Santa Monica Pier, CA 2011
Whatever you do these few months, capitalize on every moment and live it well. It doesn't just have to be summer, but something about it stirs a restlessness inside everyone. Discover, explore, and play with abandon. 



2 comments:

  1. We need to plan a camping trip. I'm not a summer camper though (to hot, I'm a baby). So like . . . October/November :)

    xo,
    Christen
    ChristenKrumm.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would be excellent, but I wimp out in the cold. lol... maybe September?
    xo back,
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete