Saturday, August 9, 2014

On moving, mosquitos, and momentum//

Photo: mine, designed here

I have to be honest, the last month has been incredibly hectic and busy for me... maybe more so for me individually than for my DH as well. Right after we got news of our cross-country move, we decided it would be wise for me to return to Cali to pack up our household and move everything into storage until paperwork and such is finalized. That is a storage unit in California, while we temporarily reside in a tiny hotel room in Kansas-just for a month or so until all the papers have been signed and we can find an apartment or house to rent here. That being said, I had a to-do list a mile long, with responsibilities to take care of, belongings to sort, sell, donate, or pack, as well as schoolwork to maintain. I can't tell you the relief I have felt having all the big stuff done. 

Well coming back to Kansas has taken some adjusting as well, as can be expected. I think distance with my man gets harder the longer we are married, you can read more about that on GUTS. Anyway, it wasn't quite the same level of ache as an overseas deployment, but I still missed him immensely and felt even more overwhelmed at the idea that I would have to pack everything (including the man cave, which needless to say, I know nothing about) almost by myself, along with just a couple of amazing friends. So despite all those emotions, it has been wonderful being back together after a month of separation, but I almost had a melt-down when I returned to a bachelor-padded out hotel room ;)


While I was in the midst of wrapping up dishes in newspaper and bubble wrap, I had a nice long talk with my academic coach about finishing my degree program in the next year and a half-ish. That has been a request of my husband's in the midst of this chaos, that I finish in 2015. The beauty of the program I am working through is that I can take it at my pace, be it slower or faster. Since I took so long to get my freshman and sophomore year done though, I have bumped my end dates to a little later than I originally planned, and it has put some of our other plans on hold for the time being. So as you can see, I had the urgency of getting household affairs sorted in 3 ½ weeks, while realizing that my school load is about to quadruple so I can get done in a timely manner. But balancing these two very important things was causing me to lose the momentum that I had been gaining while previously in Kansas. 

Momentum is an interesting thing, and I have heard it stated that it is like a flywheel; when the wheel first starts turning, it takes a while to build up speed so it doesn't have to be cranked or pulled manually. Once enough is built up, then momentum takes over and causes the flywheel to turn on its own power. Likewise, I had gotten into a good rhythm with my studies, was self-motivated and managing my time well, and the news of a move didn't quite shatter my progress, but most definitely dampened it. Regaining that has been part of the adjustment process since being back in Kansas. It has been difficult, I am not going to lie, but then I don't absolutely love looking at economic graphs and trying to find "x" in crazy equations. It just has to be done. 

It is the little by little progress in the choices I make on a daily basis that will get me to the finish line. My coach told me, "For things to change, something has to go." That has been a tough pill to swallow, but I am learning to evaluate the changes I need to make to meet the goals that I have set. I am grateful for a supportive and motivating husband, and his persistent, but gentle reminders to tackle the tasks at hand. 

Through the roller coaster ride of moving across the country, back to the Midwest, where I was born and raised, readjusting to the expectations and communication of marriage-in togetherness again, and even the ever-present mosquitos of this humid region, I am learning a few things that are smoothing the transition for me. 

  1. Get quiet
  2. Let go
  3. List and prioritize
  4. Over-communicate
  5. Stick with it 
I could go into more detail, but I think this is succinct enough to convey the point, besides you can interpret it in the way that works for you, in your own situation. Since being back, I came across this verse and it just spoke to me:
"For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish."
~Jeremiah 31:25, ESV

Honestly, that verse has been my lifeline for the last few days, as I am getting back into my routine of schoolwork and day-in-day-out marriage. I am soaking up the fact that though my soul may be weary and my body may feel a little sleep-deprived, I can do this. You can do this. We all face different battles, but in the midst of them, there is a God who replenishes and refreshes your languishing and weary soul. Thanks for reading, have an excellent day!


No comments:

Post a Comment