Monday, July 7, 2014

My short list for a new season

I'm laying next to my husband, who at 1:40 am, is peacefully sawing logs while he sleeps. Perhaps that is one reason sleep won't come easily for me. But another is that I've been mulling over ideas and plans. Let me back up a bit... Last year my husband applied for a permanent position within his company which would not require him to travel overseas as often. The opportunity was for a job here in Kansas. Of course the process of applying for a new position, interviewing, and being hired is always a lengthy one. It was back in February that he was able to do the interview, and this several months after applying.
So needless to say, we have eagerly awaited an answer. There have been so many instances where we've just grabbed hands, prayed over the situation and left it in God's hands. He has been here on a temporary assignment since early May. I followed him not long after, and still we have continued waiting. Ugh, let me tell you, there were times when that was just agonizing. A lot of decisions were hinging on a "yes" or "no" from HR.
There we were, waiting, hoping, praying, when ten days ago my husband got a call from the human resources department
saying they were ready to get the ball rolling if he was still interested!! He asked a few questions, gained some more clarity on details, and said yes to the job, so we are in the process of moving to Kansas! This news brings a bittersweet taste, as we are sad to be leaving our adopted family, friends, and awesome church, but excited for the opportunity and the new chapter unfolding.
PC:auroravilchis 
We are now in a place of moving forward with the stresses and joys of searching for a new home. We received a pre-approval, as well as have a realtor lined up, which we are meeting with soon. So I'm spending my moments discussing plans with my man, drooling over inspiration ideas on Pinterest and the Nest, as well as reading article after article of moving organization tips, checklists, hidden financial costs, demographic of the area, and DIY projects. I have a limited time once I return to California to pack, store, return, donate, visit with friends, and get all utilities turned off, so part of that has kept me stressed. I have an amazing network of support though, and if I pack a room a day, surely it won't be so daunting.
This season is a different one for us, and bringing along new challenges to resolve. This move will require a lot from us in many ways, but I've developed a list and a mindset to keep us sane, as well as continuing honest conversations with each other and cultivating our walk with our Creator and lover of our souls. Here is my short list of things I've come up with to help us navigate the choppy waters of this time:


  1. Make time with God, each other, and our selves priority. We need wisdom, we are in this together, but we also can't ignore the fact that we sometimes operate better after having a little individual time to think, create, play, or regroup. 
  2. Organize everything: it's smoother, and mitigates frustration down the line. 
  3. Research the heck out of every possible source of information. It is our friend. 
  4. Be optimistic, but realistic about our budget, desires, and honest aptitude to do or not do renovations. 
  5. Enjoy the journey and cherish relationships with people we won't see as often. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind thoughts that you left on my blog post! I am so sad that I couldn't get to know you more because you seem like such an amazing lady but I know that God will protect you and guide you two love birds through this transition in your life!

    ReplyDelete