Saturday, December 6, 2014

So What About Minimalism?

First off, I have been a negligent blogger again, but such is life sometimes. The last month and a half have been a crazy time for me -- is there ever a time when I don't say that? However, I have finished assignments, added more to my workload, we have traveled and we have had guests, just about every weekend in the month of November. Truth be told, I am quite ready for life to return to normal, but I unsure what that means anymore. For the next year, my life will pretty much be a series of coursework and traveling.

But today, I want to write about something that I have been considering for the better part of this year: minimalism. What does it mean? Does it apply? Why or why not? This is a hot-button topic. And it is all the rage, like kale. (By the way -- ew, there is a reason it is used as garnish at the deli counter, partly kidding). However, just because it is currently an issue of our day, does it have relevance in the life of a believer?





Hold your horses, I am not here to criticize, only discuss. I will share some of my struggles and a few links from these guys:  Charles SpechtJoshua Becker, and Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus.These are excellent readings on the subject and I highly recommend them. This has been an ongoing frustration in my own life as it seems I just swing with the pendulum to one side or the other. I have a comfortable apartment, which my husband has worked diligently to provide, sometimes I have felt a twinge of envy that it doesn't look like a catalog, and sometimes I feel guilty that I have it in the first place. Many people are happy with much less.

One of my dearest friends told me that my DIY pillow covers looked like Pottery Barn, and I replied with, "Well, that's the goal." It made me excited. Then in conversation with others, people are shocked and sometimes disgusted that we have things. There the rub lies.

I remember that Paul the Apostle said,
"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13
Jesus sent out his twelve disciples for their ministry and said,
"Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts, no bag for your journey, or two tunics or sandals or a staff, for the laborer deserves his food." Matthew 10:9,10
Then He sent out seventy-two of His followers and said,
"Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals and greet no one on the road." Luke 10:4
Then He had another discussion with them,
"And he said to them, 'When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?' They said, 'Nothing.' He said to them, 'But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that Scripture must be fulfilled in me...'" Luke 22:35-37a
Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me that Jesus sent His disciples and other followers out with a specific purpose (go back and read the whole chapter). He knew what they were to accomplish, where they were supposed to go, what their specific mission was at the time, and what would be necessary to carry out His will. In the first couple directives, He says, "Go and take nothing." The last time, He "Go, but take 'such and such.'"

So maybe you're wondering how this ties into my earlier rambling about minimalism.  It does, and this is how: Each of us were created with a specific purpose and specific people that will come across our paths. We have been given tools and resources, and it is up to us to decide how we we use them or not. One reason to live with less is to remove the noise or anything that crowds out His voice, or that awesome purpose He has given us. If the things that I have -- or for that matter, don't have -- are keeping me from living my life the way that God designed, then it is not okay. But it is not just for me to say "look what I have or look what I don't have."

Another thing that Jesus said was "Do not worry... about tomorrow... about what you will eat... about what you will wear..." (Mt. 6) Is my life tied up in the next thing that I can acquire or am I content? Is my striving for the things of God or to have my home look picture perfect? I do not think it is wrong to have a home, a car, nice things, but our identity and value should not be linked to them, because it will all be meaningless in the end. Thanks Solomon :)

I am recognizing the value of minimizing things and maximizing relationships.
I am recognizing that many have more than I do and many have less, but I am learning the art of contentment.
I am recognizing that many people have different views of this subject and we won't always agree.
I am recognizing that reducing the noise and enjoying the moments is so fulfilling.
I am recognizing that my home is a haven, it is comfortable for my man and that means the world to me. It means I am doing my job as a wife and keeper of my home.
I am recognizing that I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn.








1 comment:

  1. Finally reminded myself to read your latest post, and #ohmygoodnessgracious! Thank you for such a great reminder! This is a constant battle for me in my own life of course and forgetting what is truly important can be so easy to do... Yet, like you said, God knows in advance of what we do and don't need. Ahh He is so merciful. Once again thank you for the reminder, I needed to hear it!

    ReplyDelete